Thing 2

Wow - I am getting behind already. I'm spending too much time reading other people's blogs! Most of this is pretty new to me. I have a Computer Science degree, but it's 13 years old and is pretty much obsolete. What I learned then has absolutely no bearing on what is going on now. I have a myspace page because I need to keep up with my daughter who is the same age as my CS degree. I use youtube a lot because I love watching the videos. That's about it, I think. So I'm very glad to be learning the 23 things.

One of the Library 2.0 articles (better bibliographic services) talked about incorporating features that people use in Amazon and Google. I agree! I think it's too hard for people to find what they're looking for in the library catalog. Especially when they are used to the powerful search engines on the Internet.

The bottom line, I guess, is that we are in the business of getting information to people. If the way we do that becomes less brick-and-mortar-ish, then that's fine. Making the library more user-driven sounds very exciting, as long as we don't alienate the people who are technologically-challenged.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great!

I'm with you on how people find information. The cookbooks I mentioned are not easily found if you don't know to search for cookery.!?

Keep it up!

Jennifer O'Neill said...

I think thsi project will give us more empathy for the technologically challenged, don't you?

Great layout on your blog. I love it!

Post a Comment

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Marion County Public Library Events

Followers