Thing 10

Tagging and Delicious

I think tagging is the best! It's so much more flexible than putting your favorites in folders. Now you can categorize to your heart's content instead of just picking one category for each favorite. I love it.

When I first read about Delicious I was very excited about being able to share my bookmarks, not with other people, but with myself. I often run across websites at home that I can use at work (and vice versa, and end up sending myself an email with the link. Not necessary any more! I imagine it would be perfect for people who travel, too.

I opened a Delicious account and uploaded my favorites to it. I was surprised to see how many tags it made for each bookmark and I was amazed at how appropriate they were. It was pretty easy (but kind of tedious) to delete the tags I didn't want. On my home computer I downloaded the buttons for Internet Explorer, and I thought they were very easy to use. BUT - (big but) Internet Explorer stopped working half the time. NOT good! So I uninstalled it and everything was right in the world again. So I tried the bookmarklets that get put in the "links" toolbar. That works great.

I looked at how libraries are using delicious and I really like the idea of library staff sharing bookmarks with each other for reference and readers advisory websites in a dedicated delicious account. I can also imagine giving patrons access to the library's favorite bookmarks, but it seems like someone would need to periodically check to make sure all links were still "alive".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Marion County Public Library Events

Followers